To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Seriously low resolution Russian lens?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 09:48:21 -0400

I don't have any performance data for the 2/85 Zeiss lens for the Contax or,
in any event, I cannot think where I have it if I do -- I'm awash in camera
pamphlets, books, and assorted literature of all sorts and conditions!  I
know Zeiss has published this data:  I just don't know where to find it!

The Russian 2/85 Jupiter-9 is a clone of the Prewar 2/85 Sonnar.  This
"acht-funfer" was, with the 50mm "ein-funfer" the pride of the Prewar Contax
lens stable.  I suspect its performance on paper ought to be quite good --
certainly all versions that I have of this lens (Russian LTM and Contax,
Zeiss LTM and Contax) perform on par with each other, and without any
complaint -- it's a sharp, high-contrast lens with great field illumination.
I've even used my LTM versions to enlarge.

Roger Hicks, a noted British photographer and journalist, has also
complained of the poor performance of his Jupiter-9, so maybe a bad lot was
sold in the UK.  It would be like the Soviets to test a lens, find out it
didn't perform well, and to then document its impotence -- and sell it!

Joe, I'd shoot a couple of rolls and let us know how it performs in service.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Replies: Reply from "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk> (Re: Seriously low resolution Russian lens?)