To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Seriously low Russian lens quality?
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 16:31:48 -0700

last week I bought and then returned a 85/2 Jupiter, 35/2.8 Russian
biogon copy, and a rather amazing Leica IIIA Russian counterfeit with a
nickel finish and a large German Eagle symbol on its front where the
self timer would be on a IIIg.    Keep in mind Leica never produced a
camera like this one----the new found Russian capitalist "Lika"
engineers are starting to let their imaginations run wild.  Would you
believe a camaflouge finish IIIA or a black or green finish Contax II?

The problem with all of them was unbelievably poor workmanship.

Neither the 85 or the 35 would focus properly on a real Leica body.

The fake Leica body would not focus a real Leica lens either.

Keep in mind that there are different factories turning this stuff out.

Interesting, I learned that the first two digits of the serial number
are usually the year of manufacturer on the lenses.

In contrast, I picked up some 20/5.6 Russars with late square finders
which are beautifully made and work great--late 1995 lenses at that.
different factory.

the Russians are also starting to turn out nice fake Leica A Elmax, the
reporter, and the stereo (the camera, not the lens).   While the
workmanship is easily spotted as fake by someone experienced, they are
still relatively nice copies at a small price compared to the
originals.

Stephen Gandy

Stephen Gandy