To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Seriously low resolution Russian lens?
From: Francois Jouve <Francois.Jouve@polytechnique.fr>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 08:36:15 -0400

> I just looked into the plastic tub my 1972 Russian 85/2 LTM lens came in
> and there was a certificate in the bottom, which calmly states that the
> central resolution is 33 lines/mm and edge resolution is 18 lines/mm.
> I haven't seen the results of this lens in real life yet, but this
> cetificate makes me wonder about it. Even medium format lenses seem to
> typically have about 90-100 lines/mm central resolution. Even the
> Lubitel in Amateur Photographer tests got 90 lpm for the central area...
> I think I must be comparing different testing methods. Any comments?

Are your sure to compare camparable figures ?
Maybe the Russian 85/2 is refering to pairs of lines/mm. I agree
that even in terms of pairs of lines/mm, 33 and 18 are quite poor results,
but I highly doubt that a Lubitel reaches 90 lpm. 90-100 pair of lines/mm
is an exceptionnal figure, obtained only with top quality lenses (most of the
50mm from all brands, some Canon, Nikon lenses and - of course - Leitz lenses).

--
Francois Jouve (Francois.Jouve@polytechnique.fr)
Centre de Math. Appliquees, Ecole Polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau (France)