To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R7 special (was Re: Nikon M6)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 07:11:06 -0700

At 05:04 PM 8/16/96 +0000, you wrote:

>That's all I've heard, also, Ken. I can't even confirm the
>announcement date as Photokina 1996, something that seems to be
>certain according to Eric.

>From what I've heard (directly form the editor of one of the top three photo
mags out there who asked to remain anonymous) it's coming this Photokina. I
should probably pull my punches and say probably, and so I will. I will not
stake my reputation. Shoot, mabye even Leica doesn't know yet. Nah...they know.

>I strongly suspect that it will, indeed, replace the R7. Leica is
>loathe to announce this, I'm sure, since it would cut the legs right

How else can we explain the price of the R7 dropping nearly $1000? They
don't want a repeat of the R3 and R4 situation where "new" cameras were
hanging around years after they were discontinued. I'll bet there are still
new R3s out there, not hidden in some collector's safe.

Intel has learned that lesson. They bought up a bunch of ram last winter,
hoping to cash in on the expansion of Win95 and NT. Oops, the price on RAM
dropped precipitously and they're stuck with millions worth of cheap ram
they paid more for. Leica, I'm sure is trying to avoid that problem, as you
say.

Disclaimer: this is speculation.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier