To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm F:2 Summicron-DR (with eyes) ... Opinions?
From: aiverson@ix.netcom.com (Al Iverson)
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 21:06:18 -0700
Re: DR Summicron(tm) 50/2

Glenn,

The DR 50 is what I now use as a "prime" lens for my M4-Ps (even though
it isn't black - that would be nice!).  I'm very happy with it, but a
little worried about the softness of the front coating.

I've seen a lot of them pass around at the used camera shows and most
have the "cleaning" scratches on the front.  The other bother is
getting a good, clear viewer/set of eyes.  Most of them are also
scratched up.  Maybe it's just age.

For medium close-ups, it is hard to beat - if you stick with the
M-series.  I've reliably used it down to the minimum 19" and gotten
very good results.  As stated in the book by Wright and Glanfield, you
should use an aperature of f8-11 for the best detail.  You will need a
good light.  The viewing system works right on for framing and the
bright rangefinder is ideal, when you have enough contrast.  ALWAYS use
a tripod for close work!  Good Luck!

Sure wish I still had mine.  What a beauty! Easy to use and sharp.

Al