To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm Summicrons
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 15:47:14 -0600

Marc,

It seems to me that lenses made during the mid seventies were not as robust
as those made before. My 2nd-generation Summicron feels flimsy. However, the
DR Summicron is a Tiger tank. The 2nd-generation Summicron is a Volkwagen by
comparison.

I don't agree with your comment concerning its optical performance. In terms
of sharpness, it appears OK. I like the color saturation of the DR and 3rd
generation better. However, all of the above appear to be anachronisms
compared to the new 50mm Elmar. It is built like the M-1 tank and its
optical performance and handling are both astounding. It may be a testimony
to the genius of Max Berek combined with modern computing and glass.

Best regards,

Chris