To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: MR4 meters
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 11:47:00 -0600

Friends,

I have just tried to reach Mr. Ernst Hartmann at Leica, NJ. He was unable to
speak to me. (In between the lines, I think that they don't want him to
speak with customers.) I was told that the M6 is the current model and the
SL is an old camera. I was told to call the factory, in Germany.

Frankly, I do not believe that any of the cameras using only a single
mercury cell (SL, SL2, and M5) can be regulated. This is because there is
not enough voltage to make a transistor work. I assume that the CL has a
similar meter circuit to the M5, although it was made by Minolta.

Some of the cameras using more than one cell, such as the M6, probably do
contain regulators, because they can work with a variety of alkaline and
other batteries.

Anyway, Leica, NJ was of no help. May be they do not wish to support us
folks who own stuff that carries the Leitz name! I don't know for sure.

However, I will conduct some of my own tests this weekend and report the
results to the group. I have no intention to speak with the customer-service
department at NJ or Germany.

Meanwhile, I maintain that using silver cells in your cameras may produce
"interesting" results.

Best regards and Pax et Looks,

Chris Fortunko

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: MR4 meters)