To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 35mm f/3.5 Summaron
From: jvr@inescn.pt (Joao Ranito)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 22:19:34 +0100 (WET DST)

>I picked one up a while back in mint condition, but found it brought up the
>50mm frame in my M2.  DAG machined the mount so it now brings up the 35mm -
>beautiful job.  After years of using a bespectacled 35mm on my M3 (an f/2.8
>Summaron, later an f/2 Summicron) it's great not to have the bulk and weight
>on the M2.  (I think my version is probably and early pre-spectacle M3
>version for use with a separate viewfinder, hence the frame problem).
>The aperture ring is a little tough to grasp with the ITOOY lens hood in
>place (I may revert to just the UVa filter, no hood, depending on how much
>flare there is) and the aperture setting dot is a bit tough to see. Also,
>the aperture scale is non linear, albeit it has click stops. Otherwise, it
>handles very sweetly - cost me $350, cleaned, lubed, machined and adjusted.
> I have yet to get the first results back and am interested what other users
>think of this lens.

I have been using one in an M3 (without spectacles and using the whole
viewfinder as frame, sigh!) for 1 year and I am glad you people in
leica-users have convinced me to keep it. It flares a bit (the hood is a
must) and vignettes a bit wide-open but it is light and sharp. Major gripes:

1) Changing the aperture with the hood is a pain
2) The lack of a 35mm frame on the M3, but that's an M3 problem...
3) Color rendition and contrast is worse than my 50mm Summicron but the
Summicron is more recent (better coating?), so I don't use it with slide film.

I have beem learning a lot with it and, although I tend to use it in
low-light situations, I haven't still decided to part with the $$$ to trade
in for a Summicron... I have been descovering why people enjoy Tri-X... ;-)

HTH,

Joao