To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: New kid on the block, etc...
From: Bill Christensen <kangwei@interaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:24:07 -0500

> Got one question though.  If I exchange the viewing screen
> for one of those Beattie type screens, will it make an
> effective improvement in the light level in the SLR
> viewfinder, and will it effect the light meter in any
> way??  I've had good success with the screen in the
> Rollie SL66 but am not sure about these SLR critters with
> the built in light meters etc.
>
> I'm not sure this is necessary yet, but just want to
> know what options I may have.
>
> Thanks for your help, and take care.
>
> Norm

I have Beattie screens in 3 R bodies (from R4 to  R6.2).  It makes a
considerable difference both in focusing and in low light situations.
For general shooting, I recommend the plain ground glass screen with a
grid.  For me, at least, the microprism collar and split image features
offer little benefit and tend to "black out" under low light situations
making it impossible to see that area of the image.

Good luck!