To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: fire sale Leica prices
From: "Pieter Wenk" <pieter.wenk@span.ch>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 20:18:21 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <spab0043@mail.span.ch>

Hello:

I joined just a few days ago the list.

Living in Switzerland, Wild Instrumente AG., Heerbrugg, owner of
Leitz/Metz is of course known to me. Although because I am using
among other heavier formats, LEICA R/M Bodies.

Honestly, I believe Wild Instrumente AG., to be sufficiently strong
allowing to afford in going public, without loosing their
independency. But, today it's easier to achieve benefits in
speculating on the stock exchange than to run decently an industry
and perhaps offering also some decent rewarded jobs....

You possibly know, that some LEICA-Equipment's are manufactured by a
LEICA owned company in Portugal. Salaries in this country compared to
Germany, are of course by far lower.

With regards top MERCEDES-BENZ AG., they have presently some
important financial problems to solve. In the years 80-90 their
former Chairman had in my opinion made some irresponsable mistakes.
In particular I am thinking to their different buy-in's in the
Aircraft Industries such as Fokker, Dornier etc.

The results are known by today. Fokker is bankrupcy  and
MERCEDES-BENZ'S shares did fall seriously. But, they are still
building excellent cars......I owe one of them.....and it might
surprise you, it's in fact the less expensive car I ever had. I
never experienced any unforseen reparations....just the normal
maintenance work.

Regards/Pieter
Best regards/Pieter Wenk - Mfg's Representatives/Brokers
E-Mail pieter.wenk@span.ch  Phone 041/21/921 61 45
Fax 041/21/922 15 81  Vevey/Switzerland

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the
abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide
enough for those who have little."

--Franklin D. Roosevelt 1937

Replies: Reply from Jack Hamilton <jackham@execpc.com> (Re: fire sale Leica prices)