To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 90mm less 35 years
From: ms fokkema <michiel.fokkema@tip.nl>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 23:03:46 -0700

Stephen Kobrin wrote:

> Following up on the recent discussion of 90mms for an M6, I would appreciate
> some advice on a 90mm for my M3.  Given current price levels, I am willing
> to trade off speed against cost and could go with a F 4.0.  There are a
> range of 90mm lenses advertised with a very wide variation in prices.  I
> assume some of those are newer lenses for an M6.  What is appropriate for an
> M3?  Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Steve

It is not a question of appropriate insinuating that a M3 is inferior to
a M6. At this moment there is no 90/4.0 in production for the M6. And if
there is it can also just as good be used on a M3. The latest 90/4.0 was
produced till 1968.

The question is: what do you want and what can you afford.
My father in law uses a first design 90/4.0 and this is a beautifull
portrait lens which costs almost nothing. The second and especially the
third design are much better and also shouldn't be that expensive.
The diffulculty with advertisement is that they almost never state which
version the are offering. The third version in mint condition can cost
triple the price of a used first version. The nice thing with leica is
that an used lens is often just as good as a mint lens but cost much
less. These lense are oppurtunitys for the people who really uses a leica
and not only collect them.

Greetings,

		michiel.