To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 90mm less 35 years
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 14:27:52 -0400

Any comments about 90mm for the M6 is applicable to the M3. The same lens
fit and perform the same. (One of the beauties of the M system.) The 90mm
f4 for in M mount is a really good performer if still in good condition.
There are rigid models with four and three elements. The three element is
reputed to be marginally better, but will cost as much as a Tele-Elmarit
(f2.8) because of collector value. Also available used is the very useful
and convienient collapsible 90 Elmar. Mounted on an M body, it will fit
nicely into an ER case. It is optically the same as the 4 element listed
above, but also much more expensive.

The original (heavy) 90 Summicron looks great on an M3, but does not meet
your cost criteria.

Cheers!

kw

>Following up on the recent discussion of 90mms for an M6, I would appreciate
>some advice on a 90mm for my M3.  Given current price levels, I am willing
>to trade off speed against cost and could go with a F 4.0.  There are a
>range of 90mm lenses advertised with a very wide variation in prices.  I
>assume some of those are newer lenses for an M6.  What is appropriate for an
>M3?  Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>Steve

----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>