To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica Optical Web site
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 12:40:12 -0700

At 10:46 AM 7/21/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Read it and weep.....

Fred,

I do think it's strange that they foget to mention they even make cameras
(Minox too!) or anything in the serious optical world rather than grape
clairty measurers or whatever those gizmos are. Do you think this attitude
is going to permeate Leica Camera Group which is still based on Solms? I
seem to remember Leica has built equipment for surveyors and eletronic
measuring tapes for years. Is this a new trend?

I'm not sure it's time to panic, yet. But I do think the IPO will make or
break them. They say they're doing it to invest in research and improving
their camera line. I think that can be good, because a majority ownership
will be no longer in management's hands, but it will be spread out over many
different people, so the controlling interest won't change because they'll
still own 35 per cent, a significant chunk. Unless Nikon or some other
company buys up all of the IPO. <G>

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair