To: Leica-users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: R 2x on SL?
From: Thomas Pindelski <ThomasP@POSTOFFICE.nacm.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 96 11:48:00 PDT
Encoding: 21 TEXT

I use a Leitz 2x teleconverter on my R4; a particularly nice combo with the
180mm f/3.4 Apo-Telyt (what a lens!), and decently sharp fully open at an
effective f/6.8, while retaining the auto diaphragm.

I would like to use the same converter on my Leicaflex SL but it does not
fit; indeed, Leitz listed separate models of the converter for the SL and R
series.

Does anyone know the reasons, and can a conversion be made to allow one
converter to work on both cameras?  I don't want to spring for another 2x
and I love my Leicaflex too much to trade it.

By the way, my 50mm Summictron R which came with the SL was 'three cammed'
by Leitz a couple of years ago to work on the R4 and the price was pretty
modest - under $100 as I recall.  They may still advertise the occasional
'special' on this service in the photo magazines; if not, it wouldn't hurt
to ask, reminding them how they used to price this.  Tell them you're
thinking of buying an R6 or R7 body to use with your old lenses.....

ThomasP@nacm.com