To: "Leica Users Group" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 05:17:40 -0700

>The point here is not my preference, but that Leica
>could have easily updated the M so it would be more competitive--as I say, a
>bit of automation is not a bad thing.

When I bought my M, I wanted an M over the Contax G1 specifically
because I wanted a non-automation camera of this size and
quality. The Leica M was essentially my only option in this class
of camera that wasn't 35 years old or more.

The Contax G1 is a fine instrument. I borrowed one for a day from
my friendly dealer and shot a couple of rolls with it. It
returned splendid pictures. But the camera left me cold, I much
preferred the slower operating, quieter M. The analogy is
somewhat like the difference between my Rollei 35S vs my Nikon
35Ti: both are top notch cameras, but in many ways I prefer the
Rollei 35S for doing photography with. Something about full
manual control and a lack of servo motors to operate the camera I
find very pleasing.

While I wish that Leica would continue to stay at the forefront
of their field in optical and mechanical quality, and there are
definitely a few improvements that the M could use in details of
its operation, I also hope that such can be achieved without
changing the basic essence of the cameras as they are now. They
provide a specific type of instrument for which there is no
substitute in any other camera manufacturer's line at the present
time. This is not the situation in the R models, where there are
several alternative SLRs available with similar features and
equivalent quality optics.

I realize that my preferences are in the minority of users and
that the market would have Leica turning to automation for
profitability. But I was, and am, willing to pay the premium for
what I currently have in Leica equipment as it suits me better
(even if my bank manager frowns at me every time I visit...).

I hope that this sort of thing doesn't disappear from the
marketplace, as so much other stuff has, so that I don't turn
into one of those old curmudgeons who can only refer to the good
old days when I talk about great cameras.

Godfrey