To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:00:38 -0700

At 05:17 AM 7/17/96 -0700, you wrote:

>time. This is not the situation in the R models, where there are
>several alternative SLRs available with similar features and
>equivalent quality optics.

That is not true. The R system has some lenses that have no peer in any
line, and are even better than their M coutnerparts. It's true the bodies
have not kept up with the competition. But who cares? If you don't need the
features, don't use them. I have experience wtih Nikon, Canon, Pentax,
Contax. They have great lenses, but overall the R system is better.
Individual lenses (and number of selection of exotic focal lengths and
apertures) you can say that the others have an advantage, but as a system,
the R has no peer. (Nobody can match the 100 Apo Macro, the 180 f/2, the 280
f/4, the 800, the 19 2.8) And only the M can match the 35 R Summilux with
the ASPH. Those aren't the only "great" R lenses either. Just the most
outstanding.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a tagline out of my hat!"