To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Looking for an M-4P and Summicron.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:19:15 -0700

At 11:40 AM 7/16/96 -0700, you wrote:

>because they give a dreamlike effect to the images.  I guy I spoke to this
>morning in town says that the 35 summilux is a real stinker. But you will
>hear others rave about it.  I have not been able to try the 35 summicron,
>it's smaller and sharper, right?

Yes, and no. At wider apertures, it's sharper. It's certainly smaller, but
not so you'd notice. These lenses are tiny! It also focuses closer. Unless,
of course, you're talking about th Aspheric. It focuses as close, is
sharper, and it much bigger.

But the old Summilux has characteristics that some say makes it stink,
especially in color, but others that love it's qualities in black and white.
This is a lens you should check out if you can, or if you really need 1.4 a
lot. Otherwise, stick with the Summicron. That's what I have, and it's a
wonderful lens.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

(D)inner not ready:  (A)bort (R)etry (P)izza.