To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:19:48 -0600

I don't agree with your applause of Leica. They have been pretty stubborn
before with well-known consequences. They were late in the SLR market,
because of this stubborness.

On the M5, we have a poor-man's aperture priority or shutter priority. Take
your choice.

In a recent Viewfinder, one of the Leica designers narrates the story of
what happened between Leica and Minolta in the early 70's. Sad story.

I am more and more coming to the conclusion that Leica is living off the
past. I am sure that there should be an M7. Otherwise, Leicas will go the
way of the various Zeiss cameras. Wonderful optics, but the cameras were
mechanical phreaks.

At one time, Leicas were much faster to operate than other cameras. Today,
that advantage has been lost. It can be regained, without AF.

I will only change my mind when I see some new lenses for the M camera.

Best regards,

Chris