To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 20:43:06 -0700

At 09:10 AM 7/15/96 -0400, you wrote:

>AND--despite some others' comments--it does matter that the reflexes are way
>behind the times--e.g., since they have old fashioned shutters that won't
>synch fast enough no pro who does weddings or outdoor groups will even look

Any pro that uses Leica for that purpose is in the wrong business. That is
the domain of MF cameras (and LF for large groups). Weddings, okay, but only
for the candids, and the R7 is just fine with that. It does fill flash. But
I agree, 1/250 (or 1/300 in the new F5) is important.

>at the camera.  It does matter that Leica won't seriously look at an
>up-to-date M camera (aperture preferred automation, spot and averaging
>metering, and a reasonable film loading system would be easy)--look at the
>success of the Contax G1.  Again, my guess is that limited resources are
>partly to blame.

To this I will disagree. The G1 is getting lots of hoots and hollers over
the major flaws in design. And many, many people have used them, then sold
them. They have great lenses. But they are not functional in any way or sort
compared to an M6. Sure they're great for point and shooting, but not for
pro use.

>The fact that something or other is hard to get for a while doesn't prove
>that sales are great--it only reflects a ratio between supply and demand.
>How many M6 J's were made?

It doesn't matter. The M6-J was a collector item. What does matter is that
Leica can't make M6s fast enough to meet the demand. And their market
research has told them people don't want them to change the M6's basic
concept. Some improvements would be welcome, and there is a CL2-type camera
coming, maybe soon. But it's not a replacement for the M6, but a competitor
with the G-1 in the less serious market.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

Diplomacy: Say nice doggie until you find a *BIG* stick