To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 20:43:04 -0700

At 01:07 AM 7/15/96 -0400, you wrote:

>always has and always will.  What I am questioning (and I believe the point
>of Moss's editorial) is that six and a half grand is an awful lot for a
>70-200 zoom lens, not matter how good it is or what it does, and there are
>other lenses on the market that are just about as good for a fraction of the
>price.  For any business to survive (and Leica, just like any other
>enterprise is a business), it must have economic viability.  He was
>questioning whether such a pricey toy would have economic viability, in view
>of the fact that competitors have similar products at a fraction of the cost.

Jay,

It's a 70-180, so it's even MORE of a rip-off! :-)

NOT!

First of all, let's get this into perspetive. It's selling for $5,900 - not
$6,500. I'm sure that's small comfort, but compare it to say what it replaces.

A 90, 135, and 180 Elmarits. And then some. Not THAT much diffrence to not
justify the value of a zoom. It's as good as any of those lenses optically
(and even better maybe) and it takes up less space than the three together.
Though you might have to get a deeper if not wider bad to accomodate it. The
Canon EOS 70-200 2.8 costs about $1,600. So it's less than five times as
expensive.

It's not that bad a deal in the long run.

And Leica is viable financially. They are NOT hurting according to the
London Financial Times story I read.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

Diplomacy: Say nice doggie until you find a *BIG* stick