To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica's USA price list
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 20:42:36 -0700

At 06:27 PM 7/14/96 -0700, you wrote:

>$1995.00 price for a new one. Next step would appear to be a further cut to
>the just discussed $1600.00 to $1700.00 level. This is what frosts many
>about the R series. Leica will do whatever they must to get rid of them,
>whereas, the M's, being rather unique, can and do hold their value.

Roger,

I think you are being unfair to Leica. Remember how long it took them to
unload the R4, or the R3? Years and years after they were discontinued,
there were still new models laying around. I suspect they learned their
lesson there, and are being realistic. They can't make $100 per camera, like
maybe Pentax or Ricoh or Nikon and Canon might. They have to make lots more
per camera. But they also can't hold onto inventory that long.

Then again, now that they've gone public, and have a lot of money to do
research with, maybe prices will come down?

Nah...

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

Diplomacy: Say nice doggie until you find a *BIG* stick