To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Kyocera & Leica
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:31:27 -0700

At 12:28 PM 7/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm not so pleased by the prospect of adding more Japanese lenses in
>the Leica R line.  The reason is that, in addition to black and white
>photography, I also do color, and I don't much like the warm and
>over-saturated color rendition that seems to appeal so much to the
>Japanese photo industry.

You've got to judge lenses by their individual characteristics. Just a note,
Contax makes lenses that are "less yellow" than Leica lenses. That's a
design goal of Zeiss, and as a matter of fact, in the pre-press industry
it's a known fact that cyan can give a picture a sharper appearance. And sky
blue is actually cyan. So one of the reasons a "bluer" lens has a bit of an
edge might be that fact. Blake Ziegler, father of the Contax G-1 and top
rep. for Contax in the U.S. will tell you Zeiss lenses are more neutral than
Leica, which he says is more yellow.

>Now, maybe I'm unfairly pre-judging the Japanese lenses in the Leica R
>line.  The truth is, I haven't tried any of them.  I haven't found a
>place that rents them and so it would be an expensive experiment to

Actually, some of the older Leica literature will tell you the color
rendition of the 70-210 zoom is warmer than other Leica lenses.

All that being said, I think choice of film can greatly influence how your
pictures will turn out. I'll use Velvia for very flat light, or in other
situations where it's appropriate. But I would never use it with portraits.
I saw some available light portraits taken with the 80 Summilux R and Velvia
inside a barn. The skin tones were absolutely yellow! But they were sharp. <g>

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair
You'll get what's coming to you ... Unless mailed