To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: sell me an R6
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 17:24:03 -0400

Thanks to everybody for opinions about Jim Kuehl & Co., which were
largely quite positive.  I tried to buy that R6 from him, but it was
gone.  After calling around a bit, I found that Don Chatterton had
one, which I did order, and I'll know pretty soon how that went...

Incidentally, this is to replace an R4S that used to be my second
body (I mostly use an R6.2) -- I got tired of not being able to see
the manually set shutter speed in the viewfinder, and Leica USA wanted
$275 to modify the body to show it, so I sold the body and coughed up
the extra cash for an R6.  I find it very surprising that the R4S was
built not to show the manually set shutter speed in the viewfinder,
given that both the R4 and the R4S Mod P (Mod 2 in Europe) show it.
It must have cost them extra to tool up to make a viewfinder that
didn't show it!  My guess is that this was a brilliant marketing idea
based on the notion that the R4S was supposed to be an entry-level
camera for people who would be confused if they saw both a meter
reading showing a shutter speed, and a set shutter speed
simultaneously.

-Patrick