To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Kodak vs Japan Inc.
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:29:00 -0400

At 06:18 PM 13/06/96 -0400, you wrote:

>The entire problem will evaporate in time, of course, once photographers
>actually LOOK at the sort of garbage Fuji produces.  Yecch!  Neon colours in
>films!   Gag me -- I'll stay with Kodak or, when I can find it, Agfa.
>Better colours and a LOT more consistency.
>
>So, in the end, the Free Market will force Fuji to either stay in their
>protected environ (Japan) or to improve the abyssmally low quality of their
>product.
>
>Marc

Most photographers who have used Fuji products would likely disagree with
you as to their being "garbage".  I know I would.

Admittedly, Velvia isn't usually to my likeling, but I find Provia and
Sensia to be superb, neutrally balanced film, with high resolution and good
saturation, without excessive contrast.  Fuji NHG as well as their 800 speed
film are in my opinion superior to Kodak's color neg products, and their
color papers are impressive as well.

My impression, from George Lepp and others whos nature and landscape work
appears regularly in print, is that Fuji color films have been prefered by
many to Kodak's these past few years.  As I wrote in another message here
earlier, I've been testing Kodak's new E100S though and find it to be a
great product -- I'll likely switch from Provia.

On a related note, I was just in Japan for several days, returning home last
night.  I visited several camera stores, and while Fuji products are in
abundance, I saw lots of yellow boxes on the shelf as well.  The only area
where Fuji seems to have a big edge in terms of shelf space is in disposable
cameras on sale at corner stores.

Michael