To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Kodak vs Japan Inc.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 21:34:11 -0700

At 05:07 PM 6/13/96 +0000, you wrote:

>anything but exemplary. The recent demise (and rightly so) of Lumiere
>is only the latest manifestation of Kodak's slide in quality
>control/consistency. I have the normal parochial feeling toward US
>manufacturers, until they give me reason to stray, and I *have*
>strayed.

I agree. Kodak has been systematically lowering quality control. They sell
off their pricessing labs, and the quality went down. They get rid of a lot
of their research staff, and cut their research budget, and then they start
yelling about Fuji. And Kodachrome is STILL my favorite film.

Fuji film is more saturated, and the colors of Velvia (and others, but not
as much) are exaggerated, but they are very consistent, and high quality.
Especially their neg. film (800 is superb!).

I don't think Fuji is justified in dumping paper on the U.S. market like
they were a couple years ago, but as far as I hear it, you can buy Kodak
film in many places in Japan. Is that not true?

And in the interests of keeping things in the open, I recieved a $1000 from
Fuji in my last semester of grad school (the decision was by the head of the
photojournalism proram, not Fuji) as a scholarship.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier