To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Tamarkin's wealth
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 15:38:41 -0700

At 01:44 PM 6/13/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Who cares!  I would wish that Leicas had no value as collector's
>items. Then, those of use who like to use them could avoid more
>of them and their lenses.

I suspect that if it weren't for collectors, Leica would have died in the
70s when they sold only a couple hundred M5s one year. Special editions are
a good source of income for Leica. And the M6J might be leading to a new
rangefinders in the future for the rest of us. The evolution of the 35
Summilux Aspheric seems to warrant some belief that could be the case for
other interesting pieces that start life as collectibles.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier