To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Mirror vibration/hand shake
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 08:50:25 -0700

At 11:14 AM 6/10/96 -0400, you wrote:

>	I am curious to know whether other Leica users have found a
>significant difference between shooting hand-held with their Ms and
>with their Rs at speeds in the 1/8 sec - 1/60 second range (and higher
>with longer lenses)?  I generally find that my M-3 produces much sharper

I've taken pictures hand held with my R cameras at speeds down to 1 second
and had reasonable results. By that, I mean one or two out of 18 or 20
frames. It's not easy. You have to shoot like your are shooting with a
rifle. Breath in, let a little out, hold your breath and squeeze slowly.
Unfortunately, a tripod is a much better choice. Much higher hit rate.

Another note, you will get noticeably sharper pictures with an R7 than any
other R camera in this range. Seems Leica improved the mirror dampening and
ironically it how has mirror lockup. Some say it seems like it's actually
worse, but that's the movement of the mirror AFTER the picture is taken.
Doesn't help at 5 fps, but then you're not shooting at 1/8 of a second at
that rate most likely. :-)

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier