To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Mirror vibration/hand shake
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 17:57:26 +0100

In message <Pine.HPP.3.91.960610110530.4632A-100000@ccshst01>, Gary J
Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca> writes
> I generally find that my M-3 produces much sharper
>images at these speeds than my Contax 159, and I tend to attribute the
>difference to mirror vibration more than anything else - and the Contaxes
>as supposed to have good mirror damping!  Is there any way of
>compensating for mirror vibration - other than by avoiding it with a
>tripod and mirror pre-release or by using my M-3?  Could there be another
>problem that I am overlooking?

With any slr that has mirror pre-release, and a subject that stays in
one place, I can use an accessory viewfinder in the hotshoe and release
the mirror, then look through the other viewfinder and fire the shutter
a second or so later. Turns an R6 or 7 into a relatively vibrationless
body - even considering that the R7 is said to be relatively free from
mirror vibration anyway, it has mirror pre-release so I like to use it
that way sometimes. Of course if you only have viewfinders for 20 and
35mm (like me) some experimentation may be necessary. Not recommended
for moving subjects at full aperture...
--
joe b.