To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: How to take close-ups with 50mm Summicron
From: ms fokkema <michiel.fokkema@tip.nl>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 1996 22:05:40 -0700

Dave Topper wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I just spent an hour or so reading the chapter in "The Leica Manual
> and Data Book" on the different lenses.  Nice discussion on resolving
> power, focal length, etc...  Very nice for the novice photographer like
> myself.
>
> QUESTION:  How do I focus the 50mm Summicron for distances < 1m.  That's
> where the little metal stopper requires that I pull out the lens then
> release the focusing mechanism by means of the small knob-like botton on
> top of the lens.  My rangefinder does not seem to take this into account
> when I do it ... and is essentially rendered useless for distances < 1m.
>
> Thanks,
>
> DT
> --
> Dave Topper (me)
> Student of:  Life, Computer Music and Art.
> (email responses always preferred)
> http://www.panix.com/~topper

Hello Dave,

When I read your description of your 50MM summicron I can
only conclude that you have a dual-focus summicron.

You need extra spectacles to correct your rangefinder at
close distance. You slide it over the little button you
mention.

So, you have a problem. You can find dual range
summicrons with extra spectacles, you can find dual range
summicrons without spectacles but you hardly can't find
the spectacles as an accesorie.

Hope you find it.

Greetings,

		Michiel.