To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Peace and goodwill to all men (and Leica users)
From: corkflor@iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 16:23:25 +0000

Hi Group

As an Englishman living very happily in Ireland, I'm all too aware of the
need to tread very carefully as far as national and personal sensibilities
are concerned. This little island has had - and continues to have - a very
turbulent history.

There are still fascinating old people around who will talk about their
memories 1916 rising with a little encouragement. But you don't offer an
opinion unless you're asked for it. That's even more true if they're
talking about the civil war which followed the signing of the treaty which
established the Irish Free State - even to this day there are families
divided over this. And, of course, we're still seeing its reverberations in
the continuing problems in the North.

What's this got to do with the Group? Well let's put it this way: it's far
easier to start a war than to stop one, and a lot gets destroyed in the
process.

Unless we're very careful, the whole character and purpose of this group is
going to go down the drain, and I, for one, would be very sorry to see it
happen.

Many people in the Group have remarked that this is not a forum to parade
personal animosities. I totally agree.

On the contrary it's a meeting place where we can all discuss the finer
points of photography via-a-vis the Leica in an objective and friendly way
wherever in the world we live and whatever our own personal views on other
matters may be.

I've been a Leica user for over 30 years now, and I was delighted to find a
civilised place on the Net where I could share experiences and call upon
the considerable collective wisdom of the Group.

That's how it was when I joined. That's the way it ought to be from now on.

So, guys, can we let peace break out, consider all hatchets buried, and
demonstrate to each other that we're all paid-up members of the human race
whose primary interest (in this Group at least) is in getting the best out
of some very fine cameras?

BTW, you could all keep your fingers crossed over the Irish peace talks too.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists