To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Kodak APS
From: James J Dempsey <jjd@k12-nis-2.bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 11:00:40 -0400

This is off the Leica topic, but perhaps you can permit me this one
transgression.

What do people think about Kodak's new APS system?  My first reaction
is "why do we need another format when 35mm seems to be working
fine".  Sure you have the cutesy change format in mid roll and clever
store-film-in-cartridge, but these aren't breakthroughs that makes me
want to change to a new format.

My second reaction is "why did they make the film area smaller than
35mm?"  It seems that this is dooming it to be inferior.  Weren't 35mm
cameras small enough?

Finally, it makes me nervous that whenever people talk about the new
APS system they talk about the cartridge and the magnetic stripe on
the film, but they never talk about the formulation of the film or the
quality of the images that result.  I would assume that if the images
would be better than 35mm in some way, they would be shouting that
very loudly.  Instead they talk about the non-image related
features.

If they came out with a new chemistry that would provide higher
resolution on the same film size or better color or better exposure
flexibility I might be on the bandwagon.  As it is, APS just seems
like a bad idea.

Somehow I doubt we'll see an APS based M6 anytime soon.

                       --Jim Dempsey--
                         jjd@bbn.com
              http://frontdoor.bbn.com/users/jjd