To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: dating M6's
From: beamon@primenet.com (Roger L. Beamon)
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 17:39:25 -0700 (MST)

>>1987 production, which probably makes it late Wetzlar manufacture. The red
>>roundel on the front should say Leitz and your top should have the Leitz
>>engraving which was abandoned after the move to Solms and the red roundel
>>changed to Leica. Don't know why yours doesn't say Leica over M6 on the
>>front in front of the shutter release like most. Anybody know?
>
>I may be confused (or just ignorant!) but it says "LEICA CAMERA GMBH" on
>the back, and I got the impression somewhere that that makes it a Solms
>model. No Leitz engraving on top either. And I double-checked the serial
>number, and it is 1728022. Curiouser and curiouser.

Not a problem, Joe. I'm paraphrasing now, but Rogliatti says that by 1988
all production was in Solms. That wording sort of implies that production
was being shifted to Solms from Wetzlar during 1987, and that, could be when
yours was made. They probably were already doing away with the top Leitz
engraving and putting the Leica roundel and nomenclature on during part of
1987.

What we need on here is a real collector. C'mon, Marc, you're as good as we
have on here at this time. What sayest thou? I'll guarantee that if you come
to the LHSA (Leica Historical Society of America) shindig here in Tucson in
October, Joe, we'll have some of the most knowledeable collectors at your
beckoned call.
       --
       Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                                 Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum