To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Only 100,000 exposures???
From: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 16:00:32 +0200

>100,000 is a tremendous lot. After that either You are dead or the shutter
>must be changed, must'nt it !?

You might be right. As I said earlier, "math" is to be translated to "logic" in my case, i.e. nobody here expects me to be able to integrate or even to count. :)

Nevertheless, I did some homework now: 100,000 exposures would mean about 2,800 rolls of film (36 pictures each). My average is something like 2 rolls a week, or 100 rolls per year. So, I'd be 58 years old after 100,000 exposures. I hope I'll be still alive then but I would be very very surprised if my first Leica would be still with me. [Well, you never know.]

But I was talking about pro photographers. As you might recall, Laurent told us that HCB has shot 17,000 rolls of film. [Other pros might even burn much more film.] Judging from my computations above that'd be six Leicas. Well, I can imagine that he has used about that many cameras in his life. But I'm still curious about the real number. Also, I'd like to know how many of his Leicas still work today. Did he ever have to throw one away because it didn't work anymore?

By the way, another little detail: Did you know that Cartier-Bresson in the mid-fifties sold one of his used Leicas to William Klein [who was in Paris at that time] who in turn used this very camera to produce his famous "New York" book?

Bye, Edi.