To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Summicron 35 hood question
From: beamon@primenet.com (Roger L. Beamon)
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 05:44:16 -0700 (MST)

At 01:35 AM 3/5/96 -0700, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:
>Curt,
>
>Actually, inflation has not been that much. I believe that a Leica today
>costs as much as it did in 1963.

Hardly! I don't have price lists handy, but would someone like to post some
comparative prices from 1963. When you see what a brand new M cost in 1963,
you will weep.

>What worries me more is that a Leica of
>today should be more innovative than it actually is. I am not too impressed
>by many of the features being tried by the likes of Nikon, Cannon, and
>Yashica (Contax), but they are at least trying. Leica makes advances, but
>they are not of the caliber of the M3, SL2, and Summicron. This is what
>worries me. We should be getting more for our money than just the
>satisfaction of owning a  red logo, which I, incidentally, think should be
>put in less visible place.

Can't imagine how much black vinyl electrical tape is used in covering logos
and names by Leica photogs.

>Leica makes small advances, like putting built-in hoods and updating M
>lenses. We should be expecting more from a company with their pedigree -
>leadership.

Leica has made calculated judgements as to what the photographer NEEDS to
photograph well with, Chris. They steadfastly pursue that course, and their
fans mostly agree with their decisions. If they desired to be in the mass
market, they, doubtless, would do it differently. One can only conclude that
they choose not to pursue the mass market.

If you are a Leica owner, why are you in light of your thoughts? STM that
you would be happier with one of the marks that do produce admitedly fine
equipment closer to the "cutting edge".
       --
       Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                                 Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

Replies: Reply from Wolfgang Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu> (Re: Leica advances ..was `Summicron 35 hood')