To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M5
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@phantom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:13:47 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Henk Thijs wrote:

> Ed wrote:
> .............................begin..................
>
> > Chris wrote,
> > >I use my M5 a lot and my meter is fine. I know that the metering mechanism
> > >of the M5 is more fragile than that of the M6. But the M5 is a Leica and it
> > >is built like a Tiger tank. However, I like your point of view. I wish there
> > >were more people like you. Then the M5s I use my M5 a lot and my meter is
> > fine. >I know that the metering mechanismwould not appreciate as quickly.
> > >
> > >I don't know first hand about the CL, but have heard that it, too, is a fine
> > >camera. So, let us know where you heard this rumor about the M5 being
> fragile?
> > But where to repair the skin of my tiger; the Leica repairman in Holland -who
> > repaired by the way the metering mechanism- refuses to do it. Not the M5, to
> > time consuming. Is there a way to stop it, repair it , doing things oneself?
> > regards   Henk
> >
> According to my friend, a former Wetzlar worker, the information that
> you see in the M5 finder looks to be all in one plane. But it is not.
> They use optical "tricks" to make it look that way. When the meter-finder
> is repaired a worker must hand-set all the tiny mirrors/prisms inside the
> camera which make information look the way it should. This hand-work
> that is needed prompted my good friend (known as Bopp to the Leitz
> people) to suggest that I get rid of my wonderful M5 and buy an M4.
> I haven't dropped the M5 as yet, and hope that I shall never do this.
> This seems to confirm the lack of interest of your repairperson to
> repair an M5. I love the camera... Ed Meyers
>
> .................................end.............................
> Sorry Ed, but I was referring to the SKIN of my M5, the quasi leather : it is
> dry and starts loosening from the metal. The meter mechanism is repaired to my
> full satisfaction and not really expensive! Not for a Leica at least :-)
> You think the 'skin' can be treated to avoid further damage; repair it myself?
> Thanks,   henk

I had a skin problem with my M3 about 12 or 13 years ago. Leitz would
not repair the skin. They said that the proper repair was to replace
the entire camera shell. I had my skin glued on by Professional Camera
Repair Service, 37 West 47 St. in New York City. It took 15 minutes and
I cannot see the seam, even now. Jerry Danzig, New York Photographer, is
having two M cameras reskinned by the same repair agency, as we speak.
It is unofficial to Leica, but who cares? Ed Meyers