To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 metering
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 23:39:55 -0700

At 12:12 AM 4/20/96 -0600, you wrote:

>I don't know first hand about the CL, but have heard that it, too, is a fine
>camera. So, let us know where you heard this rumor about the M5 being fragile?

All the pros I know who have used the CL will tell you the metering arm
breaks very easily, and since it's essentially the same mechanism as in the
M5, that translates (not to mention M5 owners complaining) to M5 fragility.
I hear it on Compuserve, and on Genie (when I used to be there) and other
places.

I'm not really knocking the M5. I've used them too in journalism school. And
there are some features I like on it, like the shutter speed dial, the
ability to hang the camera sidways on the strap, and the sensitivity of the
meter, and the additional metering information in the viewfinder. BUT,
compared to the M6, those things aren't worth it when considering a new
camera. The M6 is a much better camera for another reason you mention. M5s
are becoming collectibles.
Maybe if we bad-mouth them more they won't appreciate so much? <g>  And to
say it has a spot meter os stretching it a bit? No Leica camera has ever had
a true spot meter. Selective metering is a better description. And the M6 is
close enough.
Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier