To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M5
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@phantom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:48:58 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Henk Thijs wrote:

> Chris wrote,
> >I use my M5 a lot and my meter is fine. I know that the metering mechanism
> >of the M5 is more fragile than that of the M6. But the M5 is a Leica and it
> >is built like a Tiger tank. However, I like your point of view. I wish there
> >were more people like you. Then the M5s I use my M5 a lot and my meter is
> fine. >I know that the metering mechanismwould not appreciate as quickly.
> >
> >I don't know first hand about the CL, but have heard that it, too, is a fine
> >camera. So, let us know where you heard this rumor about the M5 being fragile?
> But where to repair the skin of my tiger; the Leica repairman in Holland -who
> repaired by the way the metering mechanism- refuses to do it. Not the M5, to
> time consuming. Is there a way to stop it, repair it , doing things oneself?
> regards   Henk

According to my friend, a former Wetzlar worker, the information that
you see in the M5 finder looks to be all in one plane. But it is not.
They use optical "tricks" to make it look that way. When the meter-finder
is repaired a worker must hand-set all the tiny mirrors/prisms inside the
camera which make information look the way it should. This hand-work
that is needed prompted my good friend (known as Bopp to the Leitz
people) to suggest that I get rid of my wonderful M5 and buy an M4.
I haven't dropped the M5 as yet, and hope that I shall never do this.
This seems to confirm the lack of interest of your repairperson to
repair an M5. I love the camera... Ed Meyers