To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 08:51:27 -0400
Cc: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>

The Russian and Ukrainian 2.8/35 Jupiter-12 is a Biogon clone and has been
manufactured since the later 1940's in both Contax RF and LTM mounts -- it
is still being made in LTM.  This is a nice lens and the addition of coating
to a fine Prewar design -- one of Bertele's best -- makes it a superb optic.

The 5.6/20 Russar MR-2 DOES meter with the M6:  I have one and it works!
The VF suffers from coma at the edges, but no worse than with the Canon VF.
There IS a variation in quality, as frequently happens with SPS
(Soviet/Post-Soviet) gear, but the very early (1974 or so) and very late
(1992 to the present) versions seem to be all right;  it's the later 1970's
ones which are suspect.  The Russar is NOT a Biogon clone.  It is a Topogon
derivative, which explains its slow speed.

I did not know that the Canon 19mm lens would allow M6 metering.  Another
LUG member had indicated to me in an off-line comment some weeks ago that he
believed it did not, and that seems to be wrong.  Or does the FL lens meter
and not the RF version?  Does anyone know?

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Replies: Reply from "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk> (Russar MR-2 20/5.6 + M6 metering)
Reply from Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu> (Re: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????)