To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 22:30:33 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Marc James Small wrote:
> >Shoot, for a little more I can get the Elmarit. I guess I'll stick with
> >an all-Leica stable.
> >

> Ah, but the 3.5/19 Canon isn't the ONLY LTM wide-angle around.  The Russians
> still produce a Zeiss Topogon clone, the 5.6/20 Russar MR-2, which can be
> had for under $500 and, sometimes, for a LOT less (I paid $100 for mine,
> with VF).
>
> The Russian lens is far slower, but doesn't suffer from flare nearly to the
> Canon's degree.  And it DOES meter with the M6, which I believe the Canon
> does not.

My Canon 19/3.5 meters very well with the M6. Its flare-pronenes isn't
gross an is partly controlled by a shade I modified for it. I haven't seen
the Russian lens, but a recent review (either in Shutterbug or maybe the
other used camera newsletter) indicated that it did not meter with the M6.
they said it was a copy of the Zeiss Biogon and was a classic rfdr wide
angle (sits very deep in the camera, rear element large). The review said
the viewfinder was very crude.

However, I would love to have a 21mm/2.8 Elmarit but at least $2200 for
lens and finder used is beyond my current budget.

I thought there existed copies of the Biogon that had been bmdified for
LTM. Anybody knopw about this?

Michael Volow, M.D.
(mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933