To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M lenses for 120 format Mamiya 645
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 18:59:18 -0400 (EDT)

LUG,

Given the film plane to rear element distances of these vastly different
systems......I can't see how this "adaptation" can occur.

I simply tried to hold an M lens in place over the gaping opening of a
Mamiya 645 body to see if there was a shred of focus......not a bit!
Whether focused on infinity or the closest distance.....nada.  Zip.

Of course if I want to rip the reflex mirror out, there is a ray of hope
as the tiny M lens would be required, essentially, to mount INSIDE the
645 body.

I then tried it with a reflex lens instead of a rangefinder lens -
thinking the similar longer distances of a 35mm SLR lens might be a
better match.  Again, not a whole lot to call anywhere near focused.

What's going on here?  Is someone pulling our collective legs?  My doubts
will be impossible to erase until I fit an M lens on >MY< Mamiya 645!
(Sounds like the posting of this amazing discovery is about 10 days
late)  :):)

Rgds to all,

Tom Hodge