To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Closeup with Leica SM
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:42:05 -0400

As long as we have a closeup thread going...

There are for the Leica screw mount cameras "Auto-up" attachments (also
called Super-Nooky) for the Summitar and perhaps for other lenses as well.
These have a closeup diopter attached to a rectangular lens that sticks up
in front of the view and rangefinder lenses to correct fo the near focus.

This design will only work with lenses that do not rotate when focused. For
lenses that so rotated, like the 50mm f 3.5 Elmar, the Herman Schneider &
Co, Proximeter did the job. These were available in at least two strengths.
These are curious appearing affairs. They are glass disks about four inches
in diameter, with the closeup diopter in a metal ring fitting in the
center. This metal ring has a screw fitting on the back (Ser V?) to which
an adapter ring is attached. The other end of the ring screws into the
center threads on the 50 Elmar. The whole affair rotates as the lens is
focused. The outer part of the glass disk protrudes into the
viewfinder/rangefinder field of vision to correct the focussing.

The rig works well and looks strange. The ones I found, I and II, came in
little round flat brown leather cases which remind me of flying saucers.

All the little gadgets like these are what makes using Leicas fun for me!

Cheers!

kw

----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>