To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 18:34:19 +0100

Now I'm *really* confused!

I've heard of people using certain Canon and Nikon rangefinder lenses on
Leica bodies, and so I called a shop here that sells vintage RF and
collectable gear and which could be expected to know what fits on what.
I asked if Canon and Nikon rf lenses could be used on an M6 with a
screw-->M adapter and this person said, no, not at all, totally
different mounts, only possible sometimes with specially made custom
adapter and still there's the problem of rf coupling to worry about.
He then went on to mention the "LeiNik" adaptor as an example of a not-
very-good kludge and talked about how Leica lenses were superior and I
should stick to them anyway...

But (and I didn't mention this) the LeiNik is for putting Nikon SLR
lenses onto Leica M bodies and wasn't what I was asking about; I have an
old book on theatre & stage photography where the photographer who wrote
it says he changed from Nikon RF to Leica but kept a couple of the Nikon
RF lenses to use on his new M bodies. How is that possible if they are
totally different and incompatible mounts?

So, could someone please clarify this for me? What Nikon/Canon rf lenses
could I use on an M6, what mount are they, what adapter is required, and
would the rangefinder couple properly? (Fingers crossed hoping for easy-
to-understand answer...). I'll understand this or go mad trying.
--
joe b.

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: Nikon/Canon rf lenses on Leica bodies????)