To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Ukrainian "Leicas", FED 5
From: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 18:22:01 +0200

Hi all!

Just two add one more thing to the discussion about (former) U.S.S.R.
rangefinder cameras: I bought a FED 5 about 20 months ago as a backup camera
and I am rather satisfied with it. Here in Germany, you can buy it regularly
for DM 150 (US$ 100), including a one year's guarantee. The first one had to
be replaced because the shutter didn't work but there was no problem with
the replacement. And the second one did it's job until now.

It comes with a f2.8/55m lens on a Leica compatible screwmount, the
rangefinder seems to be quite accurate as far as the distance metering is
concerned (works in the same way as with M Leicas) but you don't have frames
and you can't be really sure about what is on the film. It has a fabric
shutter and the back can be removed for film loading. The body is a bit
bulkier than that of an M Leica.

I wouldn't say that it's a real fine camera but it's the type of camera that
you can have with you always without worrying about it getting stolen or
damaged. Before you spend US$ 200 to 400 for a Leica II copy you should also
consider this one.

Bye, Edi.

PS: I'm sure Mr. Small knows more about this camera than I do.