To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: The Russians
From: Nick Jackson <jacks@pop.jaring.my>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 1996 21:30:44 +0800

Henk Thijs wrote:

> On saturday I found two 'bronze' Leica's on a flea market in Maastricht for
> about 200 US Dollar and on sunday morning a 'golden' one in Aachen (Germany)
> for almost the same price.

  The golden ones pop in the tourist market here quite often - usually repros of IIb's (I think - can't
qquite remember if they had a slow shutter speed dial or not, certainly had separated view finder
range finder windows.  They are usually very brightly plated and with snakeskin coverings -
generally very crude engravings and machining - not sure where they originate.

 Also have seen a Leica I which looks more authentic (a friend bought it for about US$400), the
number checks out and the markings look genuine, lens is fixed and uncoated, but suspicion
remains because of the source.

Nick Jackson
Kuala Lumpur