To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Update on M4-P Shutter problem
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 09:20:52 -0500

George,

Yours is another testament to Leica.  You know, whenever I get together with
those few people that I still know from my pro days back in the 60's and
70's, it's always a joy to trade these "war stories".  My current friends
with Leica systems are, I'm afraid, all more interested in keeping their
gear in mint condition rather than USING it.

Here's another small personal story about Leica's legendary ruggedness.

I was sent to shoot a downhill ski championship race.  This was in the early
70's.  I was given a spot at the bottom of a turn, behind a small (and quite
ineffectual) barrier, a pop box to sit on, and was told that a snow cat
would pick me up at the end of the day.

I was alone at that spot (I didn't ski at the time and had no way down other
than the cat).  Other than my camera gear, I had sandwiches and a thermos of
coffee.  The temperature was about -10C, the sky was overcast and there was
a steady wind blowing crystaline snow that got into everything.

I sat there shooting for close to 4 hours.  I had with me a Hassleblad with
3 lenses, a Nikon F with 6 lenses and a Leica M2 and M3, Visoflex and 4
lenses.  I didn't plan on shooting with the Leicas because I was mostly
using long lenses.  The Hassy was intended for some wide views and I planned
on using the Nikon most.

The outcome was that the Hassy froze up and became useless after about 45
minutes.  The Nikon lasted for about 2 hours and then froze up.  The 2
Leicas worked all day and I ended up doing most of my shooting with them
until *I* finally froze up and called for help to get me off the mountain.

Like I said, whether desert, arctic or rain forest, if I had to absolutely
posatively get the shot, I'd always take an M Leica.

Cheers,

Michael