To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Update on M4-P Shutter problem
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 07:46:57 -0500

>>.....anyone got a list of >do's and don'ts besides the obvious don't get
them wet or take them underwater ?

My current Leica is an M6 bought about a year ago, and it hasn't yet been
exposed to the elements in any serious way.  I simply try and keep it under
my coat in bad weather, taking it out to shoot.  I've had success using a
heavy duty large size plastic zip-lock bag, with the opening facing down,
and cutting a whole in the side for the lens to peak through.  Tie a rubber
band around the lens to hold the bag in place and then screw on a filter,
such as a KR 1.5.  This will protect the front element and add a little
warming, which usually helps in inclement weather.  Now, reach up into the
bag when you need to shoot.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's though, I was a working photojournalist
and used an M2 and an M3 extensively.  They equipment belonged to my
employer (The Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) and their regime was to have the
equipment serviced once a year, whether it needed it of not <g>.  (It always
needed it)!

I never mistreated the cameras, but I always put getting the shot above
caring about the equipment.  The thought was, cameras and lenses can be
replaced, but lost moments can't.  (Not a bad philosophy in other regards,
now that I think about it).

Anyhow, these cameras were dropped in snow banks and frozen, used in driving
rain storms, baked in desert conditions, and never once in 5 years let me
down.  One time I was shooting the opening ceremonies of the Commenwealth
Games in Winnipeg and a torrential rain came down for about 45 minutes.  I
was unprotected and during that time shot about 8 rolls, having to change
film and lenses while walking in the open -- rain getting inside the cameras!

The pictures all came out fine, and that night I opened up the bodies and
probably could have filled a shot glass with the water that came out of
them.  I just left everything open overnight on the windowsill of my hotel
room and then continued to shoot for the next 2 weeks.  Everything worked
like a charm.

When I got back to Toronto and brought them in for service I was told that
the saving graces had been that it was rain water -- that I had allowed them
to dry out, and that I had then used them extensively right afterward. All
they needed was a cleaning and relubrication.  The lenses, by the way, had
no water incursion at all.

Ever since then, when shooting either as a professional or an amature, if I
absolutely positively have to get the shot, I use an M Leica.  This is the
camera I'd take without thinking if I had 10 minutes to pack and head for
parts unknown.  Don't leave home without one!

Michael

Replies: Reply from Wolfgang Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu> (Re: Update on M4-P Shutter problem...)