To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Zeiss and Leica and Me
From: msmall@roanoke.infi.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 09:59:22 -0500

Someone posted a note saying I would argue that the 5.6/1000 Jena lens was
as sharp as the Oberkochen Mirotar.  I'm not certain I would:  they're both
fine lenses and have virtues.  Folks who would like to know more about these
fine lenses should contact my co-author, Charlie Barringer, at
+609/795-8308, as he owns both and shoots regularly with them (well, as
regularly as you can with monster opticks like these!).

I own slews of East German (Jena) and Russian and Ukrainian Zeiss-derived
optics and use 'em regularly.  The Jena lenses are of quite fine quality and
I won't argue about their utility, as I've taken quite a few pictures with them.

Despite my love for Zeiss -- for medium format work, I use a Hasselblad
2000FCM, Rollei 2.8GX, or Prewar Super Ikonta B and I often shoot with a
Zeiss or Jupiter lens on my M6 -- I nonetheless am a Leica RF user more than
all the others combined.  My IIIc or M6 are my constant take-alongs.  It's
amazing how an M6 body and a couple of lenses (normally a 2/50 NF, 1.4/35,
and 4/90 collapsible) can fit into pockets with ease.

Oh, Docter Optic Technologies is the firm which bought the old Carl Zeiss
Jena binocular factory at Eisfeld and which has carried on the East German
tradition.  I own more Jena or Docter binoculars than I do West German Zeiss
binoculars -- which, by the way, are made is a small German town named
Wetzlar.  And I have an APO-Televid, as well, though I'm STILL waiting for
the zoom eyepiece and camera adaptor to come in -- does the Royal Navy STILL
blockade Germany?

In any event, I love both branches of Zeiss and Leica as well and use their
equipment with admiration and respect.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!