To: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Subject: Re: M lenses with coma???
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 23:51:13 -0800
Cc: Leica List <" leica-users"@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

Marc,

Just a couple of points. The reason people would choose an SLR over a
rangefinder is they don't all think alike. You can't put a 280 2.8 on a
Leica M6, and visoflex is a compromise at best. Nor can you easily put a
16mm fisheye on one, or use a macro effectively, or zooms. Lots and lots
of reasons. And I don't buy the argument that "real" photographers only
use 35mm and 90mm lenses.

As for retrofocus, either it is or it isn't. Kinda like being sorta
pregnant, I suppose. <g> The 21 Elmarit is retrofocus. The old ones
block the M5/6 meters. Though I too can't think of any other. The new
Zeisss 16mm f/8 would be too far into the camera (there's an adapter
now!) so the meter won't work, but it's sure not retro!

I think the real reason Leica R cameras don't sell is the fact that
people just can't deal with the cost. It has nothing at all to do with
quality, except for mistaken notions by people out there. Though it
isn't wholly undeserved (the bodies are not as rugged as an M6 - but
then, I'm not as rugged as an M6, nor is an EOS1n or an F4 or I suspect
a Panzer tank! <g>). The closest camera to an M6 in that department is
the Nikon F, and the Canon F1 (old version). The lenses are beyond
reproach, and anyone who says otherwise hasn't used them, or doesn't
know how to judge a lens. I think I'm safe in saying that since I've
used them (and some of the best like the 280 2.8 Apo Telyt)
professionally for more than 10 years. The ONLY reason I am switching to
the EOS1n is for autofocus. And the reason I bought an M6 is I've always
wanted one. But it's sure got nothing on an R7 except size and
quietness and ruggedness. Hey! That's quite a bit! <G>

BTW, Leica never releases production figures for items in production at
the time. That's been written in the books for years.

All I care about is that they stay around until I can afford a 19
2.8, 100 Apo Macro, 70-180 2.8 Apo Zoom, and a 400 2.8 Apo Telyt. (What
the heck? A used one is only about $1,000 more than a new Nikon or EOS!)
They'll all work on my EOS1n with the appropriate adapter.

--------
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR