To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Leica freebies
From: fred@csgi.com (Fred N. Ward)
Date: 18 Jan 1996 12:49:10 GMT

Dear Leica Enthusiasts,

The last couple of weeks have been strange in the Washington, DC area. I am
looking out at more than two feet of snow that remain from the pair of
snowfalls we had last week. We had about 34 inches in all at my Maryland
home.

Being home-bound, I decided to do some long-overdue basement cleaning. In the
process I found several small Leica items that I no longer need. I thought
someone out there might have a use for them.

FREE to the first to ask - - and please only ask for items you can use and
not to hoard or sell. I can send to you UPS collect or you can me a padded
envelope or whatever, stamped, for the return. I'll let you know know here
who came in first:

1. Leitz OLLUX lens shade for 35mm Summilux; with notch cut out of upper left
corner to clear viewfinder on M-3.

2. Leitz Wetzlar 39mm (I think) threaded yellow filter, marked 1, in Leica
Wetzlar plastic case.

3. Leitz Wetzlar 39mm (I think) threaded UVa filter in Leica Wetzlar plastic
case.

4. Chrome Leica front lens cap for I believe a 50mm Summicron.

5. Unusual, spring-loaded folding lens hood for Summitar. This bizarre
contraption actually works as a lens shade and comes in a leather case. It is
marked "Summitar, E. Leitz Wetzlar."

6. Threaded plastic back lens cap for Leica screw-mount lenses, marked SN
222/35.

7. Front plastic lens cap designed to cover the opening of a reversed open
lens hood of the type used on the 35mm Summicron.

8. 135mm accessory finder, made in Japan, with parallax adjustment. For
mounting on camera top shoe. Small, dark view. Originally purchased for use
on M-2 with 135mm lens.

In the 1961-1964 period I developed two items that were very popular and well
received by Leica photographers. Both received the support of the Leitz press
representatives in NYC at the time and both were reviewed repeatedly in the
photo magazines of the day.

Most popular and useful was the Soft Touch Camera Release. I originally made
it for the Leica M-3 and then continued its production for use on 4s, 5s, and
6s. It was a small extender for the shutter release, made of aluminum, with a
tapered thread to fit the Leica socket. (I found that many other cameras,
even those without tapered shutter buttons, accepted the buttons and saw them
in use on Rolleis, Canons, etc. I even made a 3 piece one for Nikons once.)
What the button does is intriguing. It actually allows you much more control
of the shutter at the precise instant of release, letting you shoot at slower
speeds. I did not make this up. This was tried by hundreds of professionals
at the time and the result verified by magazine reviewers. I always cradled
my forefinger over the button, letting the tip of my finger touch the camera
top and the button rest about halfway under my finger. Then a gentle squeeze
downward released the shutter with absolutely no shake. An additional
advantage is that Leicas can be fired with heavy gloves on (try that in
winter conditions without the extension) and by people who have any
difficulty with small motor control of their fingers.

These were made for me by a series of machine shops, each hand-made on
lathes, with a special Leitz tapered thread put on the end. While in the
basement this week I found my original box of parts, which included about 100
finished Soft Touch releases. These cost me almost $5 apiece to machine the
last time I made them in 1964. They have to be worth at least $10 today. If
anyone wants one, send $10 plus $1 for mailing to Fred Ward, 7106 Saunders
Court, Bethesda, MD 20817. These are gone, then the world supply is gone.

The second item I made is already long-gone. I found the M-3 film rewind
wheel very difficult to use in news conditions....too slow and impossible to
use with cold hands or gloves. So I went through about 10 prototypes until I
produced a stainless steel cap that went over the rewind knob (and cleared
the very tight space between the knob and the camera top). A handle swiveled
180 degrees from its resting position to full upright, and it had a stainless
steel rotating end that allowed you to hold onto it and rewind with the usual
turning motion.

I wonder if anyone still has and uses one of these rewinders. Over the years
photographers have written asking for them, but they will never be made
again.

Send any messages about the personal stuff to me and not clog other peoples'
boxes. Any comment you feel might be of interest to others obviously should
go to the List.

Thanks.

Fred Ward             fred@csgi.com

     Sent via digitalNATION Online Services    http://www.dn.net
     Provider of Internet Access & Highspeed Web Server Services
       Specializing in WWW Solutions for Commerce & Enterprise
      ph:(703) 642-2800   fax: (703) 642-0516 email:info@dn.net