To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: 35 vs. 50 summicrons
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 08:47:20 PST

** Reply to note from DFeldman@aol.com 12/11/95 12:26am -0500
> However, I am now uncertain. I have not used a 35mm a great deal and wonder
> if the perspective distortion will bother me. Also, the 50mm lens is $500
> cheaper (new).

You should get whay you are most comfortable with. Though there is hardly any
wide-angle distortion with a 35 compared to a 50. That should not concern you.
What should concern you, are you too timid to get that bit closer to get the
picture? Remember Robert Capa's advice: If your pictures aren't good enough, you
are not close enough.

As for the 50 on a Leica M, some people comment they find it a more useful lens
on a rangefinder than on an SLR. So if you liked your Nikkor 50, then you'll love
a 50 Summicron. And don't let anyone tell you it's a boring lens. William Albert
Allard, one of the best National Geographic photographers, commented that he was
using a 50 more and more all the time. There are no boring lenses, only boring
photographers. :-)

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR